Dreaming Jamila Gavin




Very odd experience last night, of falling asleep as I was reading… which I quite often do… but last night I was in the middle of Jamila Gavin’s potent and heady fairy tale collection, ‘Blackberry Blue’ which I’d been sent as a present by Nick just yesterday…  I was fading out just before the end of the story called ‘The Purple Lady’… and the first I knew of it I had the characters in the story actually telling me what was going on… that they were on a mission to save the hero’s sister… by collecting up the fragments of her skeleton, and then her disembodied eyes… and then, looking for her soul, they were crossing the lake where it’s fatal for your reflection to be caught… and this is the thing – I was there with Bernard Socks, who had fallen asleep on top of my legs… and we were both on this boat, heading towards the end of the story and the characters were telling us – really clearly – ‘We have ran out of story, you fool! You’ve gone and fallen asleep and now we can’t get to the end and find out what happens to us…!’  It was the strangest, most wonderful dream – in which the characters were trying to wake me up, so I could carry on reading for them.



Comments