Judith Krantz



Bizarre that, the very weekend that I immerse myself in the giddy and gaudy world of her books, Judith Krantz dies at 91. She's someone I was aware of being in the bookcase at home, and I'd never read her properly until recently. She's in that wonderfully frothy, catty, gossippy tradition that goes from Jackie Susann to Jackie Collins and I am delighting in her work. What a fab career - ten stonking, huge-selling glitzy novels and then dead at a fantastic old age. Well done her! Now I've got Princess Daisy and all the rest arriving from Ebay.

In 'Dazzle', which I'm reading now, two of the characters have dinner in a fancy LA restaurant and their intense conversation is interrupted by the arrival of one chatty character after another. Gradually you realise that they are all the lead characters from her previous novels, butting in and doing a cameo, one after the next, and frustrating the lovers. It's hilarious and wonderful - and a reminder that literary games and novels themselves are supposed to be scandalous *fun*.



Comments