Distilled Writing Advice...




Asked elsewhere for writing advice, I've managed to distil almost everything I've got left to say into a few sentences...
Roy covers it pretty well in his answer! I hope my books that he's kindly recommended will help out. I think - having mulled this over for years - that the best way to find out is by doing. Not studying, necessarily. Forming or joining a writing group that gets together because it wants to. To have writing peers and critics and a chance to read your work aloud to other people. Having a chance to read widely and to read fiction in genres that you've never tried before - that's very important. To write every day and to learn to keep writing journals, and do writing practise. And not to feel harried and hampered by the market and the idea of publication. All these things are somewhere near the heart of the thing, for me. Best of luck with it all! and don't let anyone spoil it for you.

Comments