Dimension of Miracles by Robert Sheckley

 


Dimension of Miracles by Robert Sheckley

 

Seduced by the new covers and the smart choices for Penguin’s new Science Fiction Classics range, I plumped for Robert Sheckley first. Over the years loads of people have told me that I would love him. And I found ‘Dimension of Miracles’ brief and brilliant. Our hero Tom Carmody accidentally leaves Earth for Galactic Central when he thinks he’s won a space lottery. He has to find his own way home, negotiating with space officials, demi-gods and his own shape-shifting sweepstakes prize over the correct era, location and alternate dimension. My favourite chapter is either the one with the very polite dinosaur or the one spent inside the passive-aggressive living city who complains about his visitor’s dietary and smoking habits. It’s a snappy, sarcastic and profoundly silly book and it could have been written yesterday.

 

 


Comments