Eccleston's return to Dr Who

 



I was chuffed as anything to hear about Eccleston doing Big Finish audio Dr Who. I think if I'd been asked to write for him... (I know! How could they not..?! Those crazy people!) I'd have set something here, in Manchester. It would be the time of Madchester - the autumn of 1991 and strange goings-on amid the vintage Gothic tat at Afflecks Palace. Or going further back to Granada studios in the 60s,or something to do with Dylan going electric at the Free Trade Hall. Or a story with LS Lowry! Or even back to the aftermath of the Peterloo Massacre. Lots of ideas whirling. Maybe I'd mix all of the above into one strange story and have Pat Phoenix or Sheila Delaney as his companion. It'd be nice to write something for him to get his teeth into.

(When he got the job in 2004 I bumped into him in the Arndale WH Smiths. We were literally both standing there reading Dr Who Magazine - and I overcame my natural quietness to say hullo and wish him luck for starting filming. He grinned at me so broadly.)



Comments