The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll

 


Another Little Book Review

The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll

Next in my series of rereads – a dark fantasy novel that I first read in 1993 and have revisited multiple times over the years. I think it’s drawn me back because it captures that feeling of book-fandom so well – that longing a reader has to return to the characters and settings of books they love. This is the Wicker Man-like story of a biographer drawn to a small town to learn horrifying secrets about the writer he reveres. I loved all the quirky aspects – the talking bull terriers and the bibliomystery clues. BUT on this reread it struck me that ALL the characters are utterly reprehensible. What an awful bunch! And the ending – as ever – drove me mad. Maybe some books you loved in your twenties are ones you just grow out of..?





Comments