What I've been watching...


How come I'd never seen 'The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother' before? I discovered it only recently. It's now my favourite Holmes adaptation ever. I've watched it a few times in the past couple of weeks and it gets better and better. It has the same manic intensity that 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' of the same year. The same wonderful feeling of being let in on an amazing in-joke.


Speaking of Holmes - last night I rediscovered a particular episode of Brian Clemens' 1970s series, 'Thriller' in which Jeremy Brett curls his lip and purrs and takes glamour shots of Donna Mills. It's an episode about a haunted Rolls Royce and its takes place in Donna Mills' swanky London pad, a trendy bistro with yellow crockery and the study of a glossy magazine owner. It's cheesy and outstays its welcome like a rank fondue - but, like most episodes of this series, it's heaven. But no episode is as good as the one with Michael Jayston, Helen Mirren and Arthur English in the deadly health farm.


Last night I also rediscovered my love of the David Renwick show, 'Love Soup'. A show that championed pessimism, misanthropy and alienation was never going to be a big hit in this era of everyone-joining-in and pretending furiously to be happy, successful and keen. But I thought it was smashing.

Comments