An Interview with Novelist Elsie Mason

 





 









Do you take elements of characters or overheard phrases from people you’ve observed..?

All the time! My antennae are twitching! It’s very important for a writer to be interested in people and how they behave, and how they express themselves in their day-to-day lives. I love listening to people. 
One of the very difficult things about lockdown this year, and the on-going emergency is that it’s hard to be out in the world, people-watching. I spend hours usually on buses and walking about and shopping and sitting in places, just listening. That’s heaven to me. But not this year.
TV is no good for that. That’s terrible for people-watching, and no substitute. On television people are trying too hard to be themselves. They are only pretending to be themselves and that never rings true. I can’t bear it! 


 















Comments