Friday, 22 March 2013

no such thing as a free festival...



 i've said it before and i'll say it again. if you're organising a lit festival and you want professional authors to come and give talks, then you have to pay them like a professional. Unless it's an agreed thing for a charity. You don't suggest it would be good for me to do it for free in order to 'improve my profile' and you don't suggest handing round a hat for people to put money in, or even suggest that i take the money from the door. We agree a price beforehand and i come and do the gig. And if it's close by i don't even need travel and accommodation costs (though otherwise i do!) If all that's settled - i'll come and do a star bloody turn for you. But you know what? I'm a proper writer who makes not a great deal out of my books - and just like many other writers - I'm still trying to make a living. I'm not turning up to do free work because that's how i get my kicks. I'm not someone who doesn't need the cash. Just sort it out, will you?

1 comment:

  1. It must be heartbreaking to have your work undervalued in this way. Sadly, it's a sign of the times. The poorest in society are being hit with cuts to working tax credits, housing benefit and DLA - all disguised as much needed 'reforms'. And the media are lapping it up as a 'war on scroungers'. Some families with young children and disabled parents have seen their income cut by £500 per month!

    ReplyDelete