Lindsay Kemp




Lindsay Kemp


I was sad when the all clear sounded
I’d been giving my all as the bombs were dropping,
Doing my repertoire of famous ladies
In the air raid shelter with the street agog
And then suddenly
My audience was gone.

But when the red velvet curtains of Sunderland Empire
Flew open and there were the fairies in cheap make-up
And there were the villainous dames decked in flowers
I thought: here’s my world.

I danced on the ferry from North to South Shields
All dressed in crepe I’d cut myself
I danced on the sands under Marsden rock
In a kimono brought home too late for my sister
I danced for her memory in the grotto with my raincoat
Turned inside out, to show the flashy silk lining.

South Shields was all so beautiful to me,
Even the wrecked hulls beached at Tyne Dock,
Where I played and made up characters to be.

Now I’m in Livorno,
Dancing still in paint and feathers
A little stiff, maybe
But I believe to this day that dancing is
The quickest way to get to heaven.

I watch the ferries coming home
And it looks just like my own home
I fancy it could even be South Shields
And me a boy, which I’d quite like to be again,
Having been everything else,
And even though
I never like to do anything twice.





Comments