Thanks, Julia Darling


Thinking about Julia Darling this week - I've written a rare poem..! First in absolutely ages. Seeing on Facebook that it would have been her birthday this week is what brought it about. She was a Tyneside-based writer I knew a little and loved to bits. In 2001 she invited me and Stella Duffy to be guests of honour at her Festival of Queer Writing, and that's what the poem's about.





Thanks, Julia Darling


I’d never stayed in a hotel so posh before,
Pouring myself a Bloody Mary soon as I was through the door
Or had my workshop gang take me out and tell me:
You have to return to the North.
You have to come home to the North.

I’d never had tapas by the Tyne before,
I’d never been a Guest of Honour before,
I’d never seen twenty-four dykes strumming acoustic guitars singing
Marlene Dietrich on a stage
And I’d never been met at the station
By my Festival organizer before…

She was jumping up and down
By the barrier in tie-dye,
Telling me where she’d bought her daft hat
And how I had to check it out.

I’d never led a workshop where the person hiring me was first in the queue
To get through the door, beaming,
Excited as anything to get cutting up
And pasting words back together
And dashing out to fetch tape
Whizzing stuff under the copier’s hood
Piecing together our surreal masterpiece
Which she made us all, every one of us,
Stand up on stage that night and read out every last
Crazy word:
All the bodices and bonnets and ray guns
On the burning sands of Mars
To an entirely dumbfounded and delighted crowd.

I’d never been to a festival like it.
Right by the hectic Gay Village,
A crossways of tawdry pubs and fried food joints,
Busy as anything, hilarious with chatty noise
And screeching, nosy parker queens
I’d never met any Geordie queers before!

I’d had to leave home to find any queers at all.
Yet here they were,
By Tyne Bridge after midnight
Like pixies in vest tops
And goblins in hotpants
Cavorting and canoodling down the Enchanted wood
And all the gorgeous
Dockside dens of vice.

That bridge I’d rode over a million times as a kid on the bus
Coming into town to buy fanzines and bootleg cassettes
And under the massive green machinery
Dashing down desire paths to the river
All the queers of Tyneside with hearts set on chips
And hot saucy fun

And the view from the boggling height of the gallery
Was airy and fresh and a great place to watch
The brave nonchalance of everyone gadding about
And going everywhere they ever wanted in a rush.

I’d never been to a festival of writing queers before.
Thanks, Julia Darling. Back in 2001.
I’ll never forget it.




Comments