Two More Bernard Socks Poems


Socks is a Good Cat

All the neighbours’ cats drink gin
It’s true
They say it’s neat gin
They drink it sloe
Call it gourmet
Think themselves fancy
They’re still pie-eyed
By sunrise

All the neighbours’ cats smoke fags
That’s them, puffing away
In the undergrowth
Tabbing their heads off
Stinking their paws up
Coughing like mad
How do they manage to inhale?
Or strike matches?
But they do

All the neighbours’ cats commit murder
Without blinking

All the neighbours’ cats get sexy
It’s revolting!
Everyone’s wriggling and giggling
Spraggling and waggling
Bums in the air!
Everyone’s shagging and gagging like mad
Boys and boys and girls and girls
Especially the ambiguously gendered!
They’re the worst of the lot!
They’re all mad for it round here
Really, I’m quite shocked
Most of the time

But not me
I am a good cat
I am the best cat in the world
You know me

Butter wouldn’t melt
On my cold wet nose






Bernard Socks Has a Quiet Day


My usual palaver is on hold
All the scritching
All the scratching
And the bombing about

Don’t worry about me
I’ll be curled up in a ball somewhere

I’m only dreaming
About exploring other lands
Conquering worlds and
Coming up with the wildest schemes
Every idea I have
Would amaze you
Really

But today’s plans are quiet ones
I’m having a quiet day

Maybe back about five?




Comments