An Interview with Carole Matthews







An Interview with Carole Matthews


Please tell us everything we need to know about your most recent book!

My last book was Happiness for Beginners, published in May last year. It’s based round a real-life farm, Animal Antiks, which offers alternative education for children and young adults with behavioural difficulties and mental health issues. I had such fun doing the research as I’m completely out of my comfort zone around animals – and allergic to all of them. It’s not put me off though as I’m currently writing a sequel. This was my 32nd novel and hit the top ten of the bestseller list. It’s just been short-listed for the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year awards. I’m really pleased for myself and everyone who’s been involved in bringing it together.



What would you define your genre or style as..?

Funny, light-hearted romantic comedy/women’s fiction/chick-lit/ commercial – people can be sniffy about the various labels, but I don’t mind any title as long as people buy my books.

Why do you enjoy working in your genre, and which books / authors / series would you recommend? Who made you want to write romantic comedies?

I love it. I think it’s my natural home. I have once or twice explored my dark side in writing and that’s quite surprised me. I do like a bit of vampire action. I’m not sure my readers are ready for that though! I tried writing straight romance, but it always ended up comedic. There was no real influence, as such. I started writing romantic comedy when it wasn’t really that popular and I have Bridget Jones to thank for bringing into the spotlight. I started writing romantic comedy when it became possible to write about ‘ordinary’ lives – until then women’s commercial fiction had been, largely, bonkbusters like Jackie Collins and I didn’t know much about parties in Hollywood or yachts

What do you read for pleasure? Am I right in thinking you love really spooky and gory novels..?

I do! I tend to read outside my genre, though I do have my own rom-com authors that I love such as Jill Mansell, Milly Johnson and Sheila O’Flanagan. I also read Katie Fforde, Marian Keyes, Mike Gayle, Matt Dunn and David Nicholls. I like historicals, a high body count, fangs or being scared witless. I’ve recent enjoyed books by Laura Purcell – The Silent Companions and The Corset. My all-time favourite spooky story is Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. I’ve bought countless copies as gifts over the years. To me, it’s word-perfect. Chilling in tone and subject matter. Quite fancy writing a ghost story, if I ever make time!

Tell us about the landscape and setting of your books. Are they all set in the same place, more or less..? Where in the world are we, and why should everyone want to go there..?

My books are set in different locations – some exotic, some in Costa del Keynes where I live. You can track when I’ve been paid over the years due to the lavish nature – or not – of the setting. I like it when people visit a place just because you’ve set a book there. A Cottage by the Sea has sent a lot of people on holiday to Pembrokeshire! One of my readers who read Wrapped Up in You – set in the Maasai Mara - has ended up working for a wildlife charity in Kenya. That’s dedication.



How did you get into writing in the first place, and how did you first get published..?

I entered a short story competition in Writing Magazine and won a thousand pounds. The first piece of fiction I’d written in the twenty years since I’d left school. I spent the prize money on a week-long writing retreat – the most sensible thing I’ve ever done! On the course, the tutor gave me the name of an agent and I sent my book off to him the week before Christmas and he took it home to read over the holiday. When the office opened in the new year, he took me on and sold the book a week later.



What’s the most wonderful thing about being a writer..?

Being able to make your characters do exactly what you want them to do! If only life were like that. Research too. I do a lot of behaving badly/bunking off in the name of research. I’ve also managed to convince my accountant that afternoon tea is quite the best form of research.

And what’s the most challenging thing about the novelist’s life..?

Erratic income. Though that has eased somewhat after writing so many books. The fear of being out of contract never goes away. As a commercial writer, constant deadlines can be difficult. In the early days it was isolation too, I think, so social media has been brilliant for that. Places like Our Writing Gang are so very helpful. It makes you realise that many writers have the same issues.

What is your readership like..? Do you meet them, or get letters from them? You do lots of social media stuff and competitions and all sorts with your readers, don’t you?

I’m blessed with the loveliest, most loyal readers. They send me birthday cards, baubles for my Christmas tree, chocolate, much and many things. They’re so kind. Even better, they buy my books. Some have been with me for the twenty-two years I’ve been published. I do all manner of comps, giveaways, live chats, outings, afternoon teas. I’ve even had my readers to parties and book events at Matthews’ Towers. I’ve got about 50k followers across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. That takes a bit of feeding.



What are you going to write next..? Will there be another Christmassy book..?

My next book is out in June – Sunny Days & Sea Breezes. It’s set in the Isle of Wight – a place I adore. It was tough to write as my head was still in a farmyard, hence I’m currently writing a sequel to Happiness for Beginners cunningly titled, Christmas for Beginners. I have an unnervingly tight deadline as it’s out in October – just in time for Christmas!




Finally… tell us something surprising about yourself that your readers might not already know..!

I was once Miss Bournemouth Pier and my prize was four tickets to the Des O’Connor show.




Comments