One of those emails that makes it all seem worthwhile






Last week I received - out of the blue - one of those emails that kind of make the whole, tricky thing seem worthwhile. They always come out of the blue! And they're always very welcome.


Dear Paul,

Christopher Hitchens implored his readers to thank people who had inspired them in some way, and so I am writing to you.

I read your chapter on Busy Books in the UEA Creative Writing workbook many years ago, and it has always stuck with me. Particularly the few paragraphs at the end of that chapter about writers wanting to be stars.

I have kept journals, diaries and sketchbooks since I could write. I went on to study creative writing and had some success with poetry, but the thing I hated about the poetry world was that it seemed to be all about self promotion and networking, neither of which are of any interest to me. It’s always been confusing to me that writers, who partake in this very solitary act, are also expected to talk endlessly about themselves.

I decided that I couldn’t ‘make it’ for this reason and stopped altogether, for years and years, but a creative person who is not creating is a dangerous thing, and as a result my emotional health has suffered a great deal.

I came back to your words at the beginning of lockdown, which I copied out in one of my tatty old journals, and I feel as though I have permission to write for the sake of writing. To generate ideas, to be curious and watchful, just for the joy of it.

So thank you, I am so pleased to be reunited with my busy book.

Best wishes,

Comments