The Most Beautiful Walk in the World - by John Baxter



Little Book Reviews…

The Most Beautiful Walk in the World – by John Baxter

This was in lieu of my summer trip this year. John Baxter’s a Parisian-based writer who leads walking tours through the city, telling tales and hoarding wonderful, bookish anecdotes. He mostly concentrates on the Left Bank and the racy literary history of St Germain des Pres – which suits me fine: it’s my favourite bit of my favourite city. Here’s a book full of wonderful sights and smells and gossip (ciggies and hot chocolate, sexy stuff and Modernism!) – (plus a couple of chapters about Australian folklore that had me going, ‘What’s this even about..?!’) But mostly it’s a fabulous read… and one that makes you feel like you’re sitting in the greenish afternoon light under those plane trees by the café in the Jardin du Luxembourg.

 

 


 

Comments